One of my 2011 New Year resolutions is to make headway through my stack of unfinished (and un-started) projects. So far I think I'm doing a pretty good job, although I need to keep plugging away at it as 2011 is almost 1/3 over already. What I've done is made a list of all the projects I have yet to finish and all the ones I'd like to make. Then I make a shorter list with a deadline. April's list got pretty long as I had a few projects specific to Harper's birthday and Easter.
Above is the Juliet Tunic (or minidress?) by Serendipity Studio. I've had these fabrics for at least two years, possibly more. There's really no reason it hasn't been put together until now. It's a fairly simple, yet poorly written, pattern. I wore it to church and to the fabric store (more on that later) and am pleased with how it turned out. The bodice isn't my favorite, but at least it fits really well and I love the fabrics. This is a project that got added to the April 15th deadline so I could wear for Harper's party. Totally unnecessary, but it got done right?

Awhile back I wrote about the dress I'm making to wear on Easter. Well, it's almost done. The hem is all that's left to do. However, when I first tried the dress on, I was sorely disappointed with how it looked. The pattern image of course has a 7' drawn model with toothpick legs, 13" waist and very full skirt. I figured I should do my best to achieve a fuller skirt since I wasn't going to be able to do anything about my height or waist size. It's a vintage 1950s pattern, so a full skirt is the desired look. I was tempted to purchase a petticoat off etsy that I found, but it was $80, and I knew I could make one for less. I googled "how to make a crinoline," found a few sites with mediocre directions, purchased some "Can-can" tulle and lining, and went at it. The project was a little daunting at first. I was tempted to give in and just buy one, but I persevered and it did get easier as the project went along. It's certainly not perfect, but it's an undergarment and will serve its purpose. I'm thinking I should also try it out with this dress (below), another 1950s pattern, as it would certainly look more like it's supposed to.
Vintage Vogue dress I made in 2005.
Anyway, the crinoline (petticoat, poufy thing, whatever) is done, so now I just need to get back to the dress and work on the hem. Maybe next week. I have a party to plan!
Speaking of a party, I made a tablecloth especially for Harper's birthday, and it happens to be a great pattern/color for Easter too. The best part is that it's a indoor/outdoor home dec fabric, so it's stain resistant and wipeable.
Lastly, we were using an old lunchbox I was given for free from the YMCA to send with Harper on the days he's at his nanny's. It was one of those plastic ones with the fused seams and foam in between that inevitably falls apart. It got so bad I threw it out, which forced me to jump into action (another project added to my April list) and make Harper his very own fabric lunch bag. I used leftovers from the tablecloth above and some laminated fabric I had for the lining. Once again, wipeable, washable and stain resistant. It's cute.
So I said I went to the fabric store today. Treadle Yard Goods in St. Paul was having an all-too-enticing 35th anniversary sale to pass up. All the workers were commenting on my tunic and asking if I made it. It's fun to have people notice handmade things and really appreciate them. Back to the sale. I refrained from going crazy and came home with two invisible zippers, some bias tape, and 1.5 yards of the prettiest deep purple-organic cotton/spandex-lightweight knit fabric for a dress. I already own the pattern, and I did have some fabric for it but will repurpose it as the stuff I found today will make a much prettier and nicer dress. It's another easy pattern, so maybe I'll get to it in May...Mother's Day maybe???
A few dents made...and only one added. Success!
A few dents made...and only one added. Success!




5 comments:
WOW! Great job! Love your projects; you're so talented!
I love the Tunic! I believe I have a similar pattern somewhere in my sewing room. :) You inspire me to sew something for myself!
Thanks! And Megan, you should make something for yourself. Although, if I had girls I would be busy making cute dresses and skirts myself. There just aren't a lot of great little boy patterns.
Congratulations on actually getting things done, yay! I really like the lunchbag you made for Harper, what a great idea. Can´t wait to see that Easter dress. And good luck on the birthday party!
You are so talented! You should see my pillow from middle school:( Can't believe Harpe is 1 in 3 days! Have fun celebrating!
Post a Comment