Tonight I had the opportunity to go and listen to a lecture given by architect and now author Ross Chapin at the University of Minnesota. An alumnus of the UofMN architecture school, Ross Chapin now lives and practices architecture on Whidbey Island, Washington. He has started a movement called "Pocket Neighborhoods" that is exciting and full of hope for the dismal state of most housing development over the past fifty years or more, and especially since the 1990s. Check out his projects here.
A few key points I took from tonight's lecture:
- Our current "time" or culture is not sustainable, leading us to restlessness. It's time to make a change!
- We each have a personal "map;" discover what you're passionate about, and all of our maps will guide us together to a world more whole.
- Patterns of a thriving community: shared common space, connection and contribution, corralling the car, layers of personal space, slightly snug homes, details that bring life, a house with a name.
After the lecture, I stood in line to meet Ross Chapin and have him sign my copy of his book. I told him I admired his design and thanked him for coming to Minneapolis and sharing his work with us. Then, I asked him how he got to Whidbey Island and the work he's doing today. His reaction made it clear it's not a quick answer, but the short story is that he has known these principles for thirty years. He said, "I didn't follow a career; I followed a life." He knew he could live the life he desired out on Whidbey Island, made it happen, then continued to follow his life's calling and passion. These are wise words to remember. How do you want to live?
I've always been interested in home design and would love the opportunity to design and build our own home as well as designing homes for others. Maybe it's from living in so many different homes or maybe just my spatial awareness, but I could browse home inspiration and draw home plans for hours. I definitely subscribe to "less is more" when it comes to square footage then put the "more" into well designed details.
I'm glad Chapin's work is inspiring others to design better communities. It will be exciting to see the world catch on.

1 comment:
Philip and I look forward to visiting about this next weekend. :)
Post a Comment