Thursday, January 20, 2011

My Best Friend's Wedding


Last Thursday morning found us at the airport bright and early to head to Boston, MA. We were running behind since we slept through our alarm and wouldn't have made it to the gate on time if it weren't for a security personnel at the security check point who cut us to the front of the surprisingly long line. She probably felt bad for us since we had two carry-ons, diaper bag, camera bag, Harper, car seat, and stroller. Whew! It makes me tired just recounting our airport entourage. 


Once in Boston, we spent the afternoon downtown eating lunch, window shopping, and checking out the Boyleston Apple store. Afterwards, we headed to my friends Jenni and Austin's apartment. Jenni had just received the flowers for her wedding, so I helped unpack and re-water them as Josh and Harper took a nap on the floor.

Friday morning we went to pick up Jenni's wedding dress, and afterwards I joined my family for some sightseeing around Boston. We ate at a yummy Indian buffet for lunch. Even Harper enjoyed the new flavors. Next we headed across town on the subway, walked across a bridge, and took a bus a few blocks down the street to the U.S.S. Constitution. It was pretty frigid out, but we made the best of it and enjoyed a tour of the ship before heading back to Cambridge for the rehearsal. 


Jenni and Austin's wedding was in a beautiful, historical church in Cambridge right outside of Harvard. I can't wait to get some pictures from their wedding day with all the candles lit and flowers. It was such a beautiful ceremony.


Their rehearsal dinner was by far the best rehearsal dinner I've ever attended. It was held at a place called Sacco's that served wood-fired pizza and had candlepin bowling. My favorite pizza was a "vegetarian chili" pizza...yum yum! Bowling was a ton of fun and a great icebreaker between all family and friends. 


Harper was so curious of everything going on. Here he is with my parents watching all the bowlers and commotion: 


While I was with Jenni the day of the wedding, my parents, Joshua and Harper went to tour the North End and ended up at Cafe Vittoria. Josh and my parents enjoyed cannoli and cappuccino and the grandmotherly waitress brought Harper a biscotti and cup of frothed milk. She assured Josh that all the Italian boys grew up on biscotti and frothed milk. Harper of course loved every nibble of it!


Jenni and Austin's wedding was absolutely gorgeous and very meaningful. They have a great pastor who did a wonderful job officiating. I wish I had a picture of the church during the ceremony, but I'll have to wait and order one from their photographer. 

Here's the newlywed couple at the reception held at Upstairs on the Square in Cambridge. They reserved the whole upper floor coined "The Soiree Room." It might not sound as beautiful by its description of pink and gold plaid walls with purple upholstery, gold chairs, round windows, and whimsical light fixtures, but it was truly unique, fun, and beautiful.


I was so glad Josh and Harper came with me for the wedding. It wouldn't have been the same without them. It was also very nice to have my parents with us for the weekend. They also know Jenni well and thought their wedding was a wonderful occasion to visit Boston. I don't think they minded being on baby duty now and then, but it sure was nice to have them there with us to help out.


The tables were set up with light pink table cloths and napkins, vases of white hydrangeas, white roses, and white calla lilies. The favors were little bags with Almond Rocas: a yummy toffee treat from Washington state. 


The food at Upstairs on the Square was exceptional and easily the best meal I've ever had.

Menu:

First Course: Creamy Jerusalem Artichoke Soup
Black Truffle Dumpling, Crispy Black Trumpets & Baby Sorrel

 Second Course: Acorn Squash Ravioli
Bed of Candied Bacon, Sweet Marjoram & Aged Parmesan

Main Course: choice of the following
Parsley and Lemon Crusted Cod
Crushed Gold Potatoes, Garlicky Spinach and Creamy Mustard Sauce
or
Seared Marinated Hangar Steak
Bleu Cheese-Crushed Potatoes, Bitter Greens & Beurre Rouge
or
Foraged Mushroom Risotto
Parmigiano Reggiano & Red Wine Glazed Figs

Dessert: Wedding Cake, Small dessert bites, Coffee, Tea

Doesn't it just sound delicious?! I wish I could post tasting samples too, but you'll just have to believe me that the food was to die for. The only thing on the menu I wasn't able to try was the steak, but many people vouched for its greatness. I wish I got a picture of the wedding cake too. It was all white with a small amount of decoration and silk flowers, simply beautiful. The frosting was the kind that just melted in your mouth. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it!


Here's Harper ready to dig in with his tux bib thanks to Aunt Kristen and Uncle Aaron:


Me and the beautiful bride!


Joshua put together a nice playlist for the dance. There was only one song that cleared the dance floor, and it happened to be the only country song. Otherwise, everyone was having a great time, and I'm sure the dance could have gone later into the night if it weren't for time constraints.


Jenni and Austin make a wonderful, beautiful couple, and I wish them every happiness and blessing. I've been spoiled this past year as I was able to visit Jenni twice. I hope it's not too long before I see them again!

I just realized this post is getting to be very lengthy, and if you're still reading this I hope I at least included enough pictures to keep you interested. I also realize that I've used the word beautiful and beautiful synonyms countless times, but that's exactly what this day and wedding was. It was so romantic, charming, elegant...okay I guess you get the picture. We were still in Boston another day and a half, but I'll save that for another post. I think this one is long enough!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look gorgeous, Alyssa! Sounds like you had an awesome time!!

- Jamie

Jana said...

Sounds like a great little vacation for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Love all the pictures and reading about your trip. So the country song was the only one that cleared the dance floor?! I guess they don't like country out there. :( lol...looks like it was a great time though. :) Glad Harper got a chance to wear his bib.
~Kristen