Thursday, March 31, 2011

DIY living room solution REVEALED!

Our living room has been plagued by the same chunky, black media stand Josh has had since college. We've had high hopes of replacing it, but each time we've saved enough for home improvements, its priority got bumped behind something else like the sofa, armchair, and dining room table. Harper finally pushed it to the top of the list. His increasing mobility and curiosity made it really difficult to keep him away from the glass door, speakers, cord, and screen, and it was quickly becoming a game to see if he could reach the glowing buttons before we pulled him away.

Before:

After:

I once read this blog post over at Young House Love and instantly knew we could use a similar table as a media table/desk. We followed most of their instructions other than using a pre-owned door. We simply purchased a board to use as the table top. Josh used some cord tying magic to secure most of the cords to the back rail of the table to keep them out of sight and out of Harper's reach. The subwoofer for the speakers is the only thing that had to remain on the floor, but it worked out well since it blocks the electrical socket and hides the power strip behind. Harper has since learned he can also hide his toys back here. You win some, you lose some, but at least it's a lot more manageable to keep him from getting into this one area instead of climbing all over the previous arrangement. 

Here's how the desk area looks the majority of the time:


I think the long table also balances the room better, and it definitely lightens it up being white. The monitor also acts as our "t.v.," and while it may not be the best for watching movies (which we rarely watch anymore), the only shows we watch are the few online when we have the time. I'm planning on finding a decorative bowl or something similar to go on the left side of the table. I also still need to figure out what to do with the rest of the wall as it still looks a little bare. Have you seen anything lately that would work in this space? I'd love to hear your ideas!

1 comment:

Jana said...

I really like this solution. Yay for DIY! I can´t wait to move into a house someday and DIY so many things...