Friday, June 12, 2009

Biker Chick!

Josh decided to spoil me on Memorial Day after we got back from hiking at Taylors Falls, MN by taking me to my favorite store...REI! I've wanted a nice bike ever since college but haven't been able to fork up the money and just do it. I test rode a couple bikes and decided on the Novara Metro bike. It's a hybrid urban bike, so it is both comfortable and fairly fast. That same week there was a free class at REI just for women covering basic bike maintenance. Of course, I ended up spending more money because I was told of all these things I needed if I get a flat tire or need to clean my chain! Then on top of that, I needed a little seat bag to put those things in so I would have the extra tube, patch kit, and tire levers with me when I get a flat. I'm sure it's bound to happen someday. I've been commuting by bike to work quite a bit and usually see shards of glass everywhere, so it's only a matter of time. My commute is only 4 miles. There are a couple roads with bike lanes and a bike trail that I take under the highway. Don't worry, I do wear a helmet. The picture was taken right after we got home from REI, and I just had to try it out in the alleyway before searching the basement for my helmet. I've biked to work at least twice a week since getting the bike, and I'm going to try to bike every day I don't work at REI in the evening. My next bike purchase will be a back rack and either an awesome basket or panniers. I also need to get a bike computer, but I've been tallying my miles and am at 63 miles so far!

No comments: