It's too dark to take a picture now, but I must say our backyard looks very different from the previous post. Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who helped us get it in shape (for all the gardening tools and plants)! I especially want to thank my mom for putting in a whole day's worth of weeding, trimming and planting with me on Saturday. We really accomplished a lot. We discovered we have a beautiful peony plant, an incredible amount of jack-in-the-pulpits, and lots of other stuff I can't remember the names of at the moment. Those were the two most exciting discoveries. Some of the things we added to our garden include hostas, phlox, lamium, columbine, tomatoes, green peppers, lettuce, carrots, coneflower, day lilies, grape hyacinths, ... and maybe a couple others.
Last night after working at REI, I spent a couple hours in the front yard trying to pull out all the dandelion weeds. I should have taken a before and after picture. I was quite amazed with myself. Although I went out there this morning and saw some of those suckers already popping up again! ARGH. The good news about the front yard is that the crab apple tree is full of little soft pink blooms. It is gorgeous! I can't wait to see the three massive hydrangea plants next to our front door bloom later this summer. I wonder what color they are.
Tonight after work Josh and I spent a couple hours tearing out the dead grass patches (which I learned is called thatch), loosening up the dirt, and planting new grass seed. Thank goodness we have a modest sized yard. The soil seems to be a decent quality, so as long as we can keep it watered I think it should grow alright.
I never was one to help my mom in the yard while growing up. I would always try to find one reason or another to get out of weeding. I'm enjoying our little yard and garden but don't think I will ever want one that's much larger! I guess only time will tell if my mom passed on her green thumb afterall.
1 week ago
No comments:
Post a Comment