Sunday, March 29, 2009

For the first time in my life...

I bought asparagus! You may not think this is a very big deal, but if you tell my parents they'll exclaim, "she did what?!" Let me explain. When we were young my parents made us eat our vegetables like any good parents should do. Usually if my mom made something out of the ordinary like brussel sprouts or asparagus she would often heat up a second vegetable so we'd only have to try the "nasty stuff." Well, one night she made asparagus as the only vegetable option. I REFUSED to touch the asparagus. I was therefore punished with the option of either eating my asparagus or sitting at the dining room table for the rest of the night until 9:30pm. As the stubborn person I am, I sat there until bed time.

So mark today in history! I actually bought asparagus. And at the moment, I am testing out a cream of asparagus soup. If the soup doesn't turn out (or if it isn't tasty), it may also be the last day I buy asparagus!

1 comment:

Cindy Olson said...

I had a similar experience with scalloped potatoes. I sat and stared at them until bedtime, too.

I still hate scalloped potatoes, so good for you for taking another try at asparagus (which, by the way, I really like!).